I’ve been sewing away on my lovely new machine and just loving all it’s features and functions. Not too much computer, just the right amount to do some pretty fun stuff!
So first up, I made myself a tush cush for our upcoming FVMQG meeting this Thursday for our Tush Cush Challenge. Somebody complained that the chairs we had in our free meeting space were not comfortable, so our solution? A Tush Cush Challenge!
I had one already I was lucky enough to win as a past doorprize, but I thought I could use a new one so I got busy.
I tried out the 1/4″ piecing foot and love that! I had one on my other machine but it was way off and I couldn’t figure out how to adjust it so I never used it. This one is great and now I have no excuse for my seams to be out of whack!
After it was pieced I made a quilt sandwich of just the top on batting (no back) and did some matchstick quilting- first go at that. The walking foot made that a breeze.
Then I sandwiched it up with a lightly quilted back piece- isn’t this fabric so rad?! Cathy has my number and found it while thrifting and asked if I wanted some- oh yes please! It’s even made by my Robert Kaufman peeps, guessing around the 90’s-ish.
I stuck two extra pieces of batting cut a bit smaller inside in the centre and sewed around them thru all the layers, then edgestitched, and done!
Now my tush will be cush at our meeting this week, which is in our new location, very exciting!
Next, I am working on a pattern for a special reveal happening pretty quick. More on the actual reveal later, but I can show you what it is I am doing since i Just finished mocking up and testing my plan, a sewing caddy/catchall bag, perfect to take to retreats or keep on your sewing table to keep all your sewing bits together in one place.
I have made 3 mockups of this tote so far. #1 was bad. I won’t show it but I royally screwed up on the sewing, so, no.
This is Take #2, a bit better but some issues with construction. As in, too hard! But overall it worked. My math even worked! That made me happy.
Binding needed sewing down in this shot. But it worked otherwise!
Take 3 in a wild and crazy combination.
Redesigned the construction of the lining/zipper pouch area so it’s a lot easier to make, and it worked! However I ran out of my extra firm interfacing and used denim inside the main body just so I could finish it without having to run out to buy more interfacing, so the outside is a bit floppier than I wanted. But that’s ok, it’s a test and everything else worked!
Roomy inside with a built-in zip pocket as a divider to keep your stuff organized, pockets on both inside walls and outside walls, even a phone-sized pocket to keep your Instagram moments at the ready! I have to mention the zipper foot on this machine is great. My other machine’s zipper foot is so bad, I stopped using it all together and just did Cathy’s no zipper foot method. But this one makes installing zips a lot easier and no messing around with aligning the foot to one side or the other, and then trying to keep the seam allowance consistent, blah blah blah, ugh! Just attach it, touch the needle left button and go. The foot is the perfect width to keep a consistent seam without trouble. I like it a lotta lot!
So next up is make the final one in the final fabrics- you will squee when you see them, part of my new collection coming out with Robert Kaufman any day now– then do the written/diagrammed pattern, have it tested, and then get it sent off for it’s big reveal. I think you will love it, stay tuned, I’ll share where to find it once I’m able!
More fun stuff coming up fast including a plein air painting event I’m participating in coming up, busy fun times!